Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, September 17, 2012

It's all about comfort... at least the food it is!

Ok... So... By the time you read this we'll be enjoying some vacations with family and friends in Brownsville, Tx. I am writing this on Monday 9/10th and scheduling it to appear ... well.. now! LOL! It's almost like time traveling! How cool is that? Ok... it's not even close to time traveling... but it's still pretty neat to be able to schedule my posts and keep my friends that honor me with their presence here at The Coffee Shop

So... I found an amazing, amazing chicken recipe at Allrecipes.com ... The ingredients are very simple and inexpensive, I knew it sounded good when I found it but I had no clue how GREAT it would be!! It's really a keeper! I hope you enjoy it just as much as we did.

It's real Southern Food, a delicious dish right from the heart of Houston, Tx. I never thought I would love this that much... I hope you enjoy it too:

Serving Suggestion: Side of White or Brown Rice. It's delicious with mashed potatoes too. Cover rice with gravy from the chicken... YUM!



Soul Smothered Chicken 
(Slightly Adapted from Allrecipes.com)
Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces (separate drumsticks from thighs too, I even cut the thighs in two)
  • About 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 big white onion
  • 3 stalks of celery
  • 3 - 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 cups chopped carrots
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

  1. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dredge in 3/4 cup flour, place in the skillet, and brown on all sides. Set chicken aside on paper towel to absorb the excess of grease, drain skillet, reserving about 1 tablespoon butter.
  2. Reduce skillet heat to medium-low, and stir in onions, celery, garlic, and carrots. Cook 5 minutes, until tender. Stir in the flour, and cook 5 minutes more. Pour in the chicken broth, season with cayenne pepper, and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low.
  3. Return chicken to the skillet, cover, and continue cooking 30 minutes, until chicken juices run clear and gravy has thickened.  




Enjoy!  Have a great week!

© Paloma K.

No comments: