Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Old friends and Lighter Chicken and Biscuits

Hello everybody! I am sooo happy! It's almost Friday! If you know me then you know I am not someone who complains about Mondays and is only happy when it's Friday...  I actually love Mondays! It feels to me like they are always a good opportunity to do things differently, etc... but... this time I am super excited because tomorrow we'll have friends -who live far away- coming over! ... they've been my friends for so long! They are a couple (Tere and Daniel) ... I've known her since I was 12 and I know him since I was I think 15 or 16 ... it turns out that they have always been like a sister and a brother to me and then they got married! How cool is that? To have your best friends get married and you can keep talking and hanging out and just sharing the same memories, etc... I actually went with him to the jewelry when he was looking for an engagement ring for her about 16 years ago! WOW! then we continued to hang out in church and later on at work, Daniel and I worked at the same company together and when I lived the hardest times in my life they both were there for me, just like family!... and I think I am going to be grateful with them FOREVER! They now have 3 kids and I am sure you can imagine how THRILLED I am to think of our children playing together! Oh! Memories... sweet memories! So... they'll be spending the weekend with us!

.... and now... the recipe:

As good as sweet memories "  Lighter Chicken and Biscuits"
(Slightly adapted from Martha Stewart's recipes)


Inspired by southern comfort food. It's not exactly "low calorie" but it is still a healthier version.

Today is SIMPLE LIVES THURSDAY ... if you want to know more about it visit Diana's blog:  "A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa" go visit her and join her on this project! It is very cool! It's all about tips/recipes, etc... on living a "Simple (and wholesome) life" ... I hope you like it.

Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour, spooned and leveled
  • 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 large egg white
  • 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
  • 1 cup low-fat (1 percent) milk -You can use whole milk if you prefer-
  • 5 carrots, thinly sliced
  • 5 celery stalks, thinly sliced
  • 1 box (10 ounces) frozen pearl onions, thawed
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together whole-wheat flour, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together egg white, 3 tablespoons oil, and 1/4 cup milk; add to flour mixture, and stir until moistened. Drop four 1/4-cup scoops of dough onto a baking sheet, at least 2 inches apart. Bake until golden, 12 to 14 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, in a 5-quart Dutch oven or large heavy pot, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add carrots, celery, and onions; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
  4. Sprinkle vegetables with remaining 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour; stir in remaining 3/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup water, and thyme. Simmer until liquid is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, (add more liquid if too thick). Add chicken; simmer until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve chicken stew with biscuits.

So... to good friends! ... ENJOY!

 © Paloma K

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Hope you have a great visit!

Caroline said...

I just happened upon your Mexican food blog, and was enjoying browsing through it so much, but I was disappointed to see that your last post was in November. And then, I thought I would just check our your other blogs, and here you are. I love your recipes, and your "happy" posts. I'll be back for more food inspiration.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Sounds scrumptious!!!

Enjoy your friends...AND your food! :D

Paloma said...

Thanks everyone! You are all so great! I appreciate it! :) it is great to see friends back at their Coffee Shop! ;)

Paloma said...

Caroline! So happy you ended here! That is so awesome! I'll try to start posting Mexican Recipes again over there at Cooking With Fire... but for now I am trying to focus on this blog. :) If you have any questions or recipes you'd like me to share I'll be more than happy to do so! ;)