Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Delicious and very fresh dessert - The Cake Slice

Hello friends! Thank you all for choosing "The Coffee Shop"! I have been going back to my old posts, re-reading the comments and checking my Subscriptions to try to get in touch again with my old friends who used to make this place such a vibrant, happy spot to gather! "The Coffee Shop" is a place where we can talk about anything! Enjoy good food! but mostly enjoy one another! I am hoping I can soon gain new friendships and re-connect with the old faces that I miss so much! It's been all my fault because I wasn't here consistently due to just the "daily life" but I hope I am here for good now! we'll see, right? We all have "seasons" like that!  Just as a way to say "Thanks for being patient with me" I am hosting a giveaway! I am giving a $25.00 Starbucks Gift Card! I hope you enter! Please check my previous post! Entering is SOOO EASY! You basically just need to follow me here or like me on FB to enter! you can get more entries by blogging about the giveaway... just check it out here . I really appreciate your support!

Today... it is May 20th! And if you  remember I am a member of a wonderful group of ladies who LOVE BAKING as much as I do... check their blogs here: The Cake Slice Bakers

This year we are baking cakes from:  "The Cake Book by Tish Boyle"  I've loved that book and I've really enjoyed everything we've baked so far. This month was the turn for:

Delicious and beautiful!

Individual Meringue Cups with Lime Cream and Fresh Berries

This delicious dessert was just heavenly! So light! So fresh! You basically have to make some meringue cups, then lime cream (like a curd) and then you fill your cups and top it all with fresh berries (I only used strawberries and blackberries) ... I loved this! I am definitely going to make it again!

Here is the recipe: (Makes 6 Individual Meringues)
Ingredients:

Meringue Cups:
4 Large egg whites at room temp.
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup (7 oz) superfine sugar


Lime Cream:
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
6 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
4 tbsp. unsalted butter (cut into tablespoons)
1 tsp. finely grated lime zest
3/4 cup heavy cream

Fruit Topping
2 cups mixed fresh berries (raspberries, sliced strawberries, red currants, blueberries)

Confectioner's sugar for dusting.

Elaboration:

Make the Meringues:
  1. Preheat oven at 225F. Trace six 3 1/2" circles onto a sheet of parchment paper. Turn parchment paper upside down and place it on the baking sheet.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, using whisk attachment, beat the egg whites at med. speed until foamy Add salt and cream of tartar and beat at med.-high speed until soft peaks begin to form. Gradually add the sugar, about 1 tbsp. at a time, then increase speed to high and beat the whites until stiff peaks form.
  3. Scrape meringue into a large (18") pastry bag fitted with a medium plain tip. Starting in the center of each circle, pipe a spiral of meringue in toward the edge, filling the circle completely. Pipe a ring of meringue around the edge of each circle. Pipe another ring of meringue on top of the first to form cups.
  4. Bake meringues for 2 hours or until they are very lightly colored and dry to the touch. Let them cool completely (I think I baked them for about 1 hour only). 
 Make the Lime Cream
  1. Set a fine mesh over a medium bowl and set aside. In a medium heavy saucepan (making sure it's perfectly clean, stainless steel and has no traces of grease in it) whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until blended. Stir in the lime juice and butter and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture turns opaque and thickens enough to leave a path on the back of a wooden spoon when you draw your finger across it. Remove the pan from the heat and immediately strain the custard through the sieve pressing it through with a rubber spatula. Stir in the lime zest. Set the mixture aside while you whip the cream or if you are not ready to serve the meringues, refrigerate the mixture, covered until ready to use.
  2. Shortly before serving, in the bowl of an electric mixer, using the whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream at high speed until medium-firm peaks form. Place the bowl of whipped cream in refrigerator.
  3. If the lime mixture has not been refrigerated, set the bowl containing the lime mixture in a large bowl filled about one third of the way with ice water (be careful that the water doesn't splash into lime mixture). Stir mixture frequently until is slightly cooler than room temp. (about 10 minutes)
  4. Fold a large spoonful of the whipped cream into the lime base to lighten it. Gently fold in the remaining cream.
  5. Spoon the lime cream into the meringue cups, dividing it evenly. Top each meringue with mixed berries, then dust lightly with confectioners' sugar and serve.
STORE the unfilled meringue shells in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 5 days, once filled they should be served immediately.




I hope you try this recipe! I think it would be perfect for a 4th of July celebration! If you try it let me know how you liked it! and please don't forget to enter the giveaway.

Enjoy!


© Paloma K.

11 comments:

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

Picture looks gorgeous. Looks like blackberries rather than raspberries - was it raspberries?
It was a lovely dessert. Your picture looks a bit like a smiling face - very appropriate! :)

Paloma said...

Hi!!! Thanks for stopping by! Yes ... those were definitely blackberries! LOL! I don't know why I wrote raspberries! :P ... thanks for letting me know! I just changed it on the post! ;)

Future Grown-Up said...

I love how light and elegant this looks...very nearly makes me want to make some more meringue nests to fill up with the leftover lime cream. Delicious job!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Oh yummy!! Looks fabulous!

Heather said...

They look perfect!

Paloma said...

Thanks Jeannie! Thanks Heather! I'm very happy they turned out so well! :)

Ginny Marie said...

Hi, Paloma! Welcome back to blogging...real life certainly can get in the way!

This looks like my kind of dessert...yum!

Thanks for stopping by Lemon Drop Pie and letting me know you're back!

Kelly-Jane said...

Your looks just like the meringue cups in the book! Lovely :)

Katie said...

Looks fabulous and great piping work. Wish I'd made mine now

tori said...

Yum! Found your blog through SITS and I love it. Perfect reading to go with my bajillion cups of morning coffee :)

OvenDelights said...

I wasn't going to even bother making May's cake, but after viewing your post it convinced me! Your cups turned out lovely!