Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pulled-Pork Sandwiches with Coleslaw

This recipe is one of those "Martha Stewart" recipes that I HAD TO try! I remember I thought about making pulled pork right before my then almost 2 yr. old was going to have her tonsils removed and I wanted to have something in the freezer that would be "quick" to put together for hubby's lunch/dinner and for myself too when I had no chance to cook because I would be taking care of my baby in the hospital and then at home... So... I remembered I had bought Pork Shoulder in the store and I still wasn't sure what to do with it... I knew I wanted "Pulled Pork" but I had never made it before and I had had my share of bad experiences with Pork Shoulder... anyway... I found this recipe and I thought it sounded really good so I gave it a try! I am glad I did because once the pork was ready I just divided it in smaller portions and froze them and used them up whenever I needed. Hubby loved these sandwiches and that's what I do with pork shoulder now and when I know I'll have visits from out of town for over 2 days and we'll probably be on the go and without much time for me to cook. Recipe:



Easy Pork Shoulder
From Martha Stewart

Ingredients

  • 1 boneless pork shoulder (7 pounds)
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup water

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Using a sharp knife, score the fat (but not the meat) on 1 boneless pork shoulder (7 pounds) in a diamond pattern. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Place pork, fat side up, in a roasting pan or large Dutch oven with 1/2 cup water. Roast until some fat has rendered, about 45 minutes. Remove pan from oven and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Tightly cover pan with foil or a lid. Cook until meat is very tender, about 4 hours. When cool enough to handle, remove fat from top of roast. Using two forks, shred meat into bite-size pieces, discarding any large pieces of fat.

How to store: Refrigerate shredded meat in airtight containers, up to 3 days, or freeze in 2- or 3-cup portions, up to 3 months. If desired, reserve fat and render by cooking over low heat until mostly liquid. Strain and refrigerate; use in place of oil. (you can also make tacos with this pork recipe, just add it to corn tortillas, pico de gallo or salsa and avocado!... YUM!)

Let's make those sandwiches with coleslaw

Ingredients

  • 2 cups shredded green cabbage (from 1/2 small head)
  • 1 carrot, cut into strips using a vegetable peeler
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 3/4 cup homemade or store-bought barbecue sauce
  • 2 cups Easy Pork Shoulder (recipe above)
  • 4 hamburger buns

Directions

  1. In a bowl, combine cabbage, carrot, vinegar, and oil; season with salt and pepper. Let coleslaw stand 5 minutes. In a small saucepan, combine barbecue sauce and pork. Cook over medium-high until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Serve pork on buns with coleslaw.
Thanks for another great recipe Martha!
 
 © Paloma K

No comments: