Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Chocolate/Butterscotch Chip Cookies

Well...on Sunday I made a "Banana Cream Pie" for hubby and DD#1 (dear daughter #1) of course from scratch... I made my own vanilla pudding, etc... it was a total hit! Hubby loved it and ate two slices right away... but... he is lactose intolerant (which I didn't consider when making this dessert) and even when he can do pretty well with desserts that include regular milk we decided he should take the rest to his job, DD#1 is only 3yrs. old and we don't let her eat too much sweets (plus she doesn't eat much dessert anyway) so we thought people in his job would like the treat... They all loved it! and I was very happy about that... but I felt bad because hubby didn't have any more dessert for yesterday (Monday) ... (He loves eating dessert every night with a cup of coffee... and he can afford to do that! He is actually trying to gain a little weight -sigh- so not like me!) Anyway... Yesterday I thought I would make something special for him... So I decided to make something with butterscotch... Back in Wisconsin (where he is from and where we lived the first 4 years of marriage) his aunts would make treats with butterscotch and ... well.. I thought it was kind of a "family thing" so... I was sure it would be special for him if I used butterscotch in some dessert! (I never use it because I am not a big fan myself) so I thought I'd make something with his favorite ingredient: CHOCOLATE and then add a little bit of that special and so familiar ingredient I was sure he loved: Butterscotch!

So... here is what I made:

One bowl Chocolate/Butterscotch Chip Cookies

Makes about 3 dozen
Ingredients:

  • 1.5 cups of flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp. shortening
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup butterscotch morsels

Preheat oven at 375F. In your electric mixer bowl (mix flour, baking soda and salt, just whisk to incorporate, place that same bowl in your electric mixer, add the sugars and shortening and mix for about 2 minutes at medium speed (it should look crumbly) then add eggs one by one mixing well after each addition, finally add the vanilla extract mix until it's all incorporated (do not over-mix), stir in your chocolate and butterscotch morsels and drop on your cookie sheet -preferably lined with parchment paper- or you can lightly grease it. (I use a small ice cream scoop to drop and have them all be same size and shape - It's about 1 tbsp. of dough per cookie - ) Bake in preheated oven for 8-9 minutes or until edges are golden brown. ENJOY!
 


-----------

So... back to my story... When hubby saw the "butterscotch" in my cookies he said "what's that?" -Pointing at a butterscotch morsel-... I proudly said: "Butterscotch" (he bit the cookie and said nothing) I was like: "What's wrong?" "Oh! Nothing... I just hate butterscotch! but these are good regardless!" LOL! So ... he enjoyed his cookies with coffee last night! I tried one out of curiosity and actually LOVED THEM! I thought they were incredible, I was so proud of them we had to share again! hubby took them to his job and he's even had 6 already this morning! He says they are almost all gone and that everyone really liked them! So... I am glad I experimented with this... and it's good to know that hubby doesn't like butterscotch though! I am happy I didn't know before or I would've never tried making this!

© Paloma K.

1 comment:

Monica H said...

haha! That is too funny!

I was just thinking, "aw, that is really sweet. I bet he just loved them..." then I read that he hates butterscotch. ha!

I'm not really a fan of butterscotch myself either, maybe I need to give these cookies a try to change my mind.