Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tuesday of Quotes and Blueberry muffins

Well...today is Tuesday! And I am supposed to share a famous quote, inspirational thought or words of wisdom on Tuesdays but I have so much to share that I'll share the quote and then go ahead and write a little about Summer and share a great blueberry muffin recipe!

So... here is the "Quote of the Day" ... thinking of Summer!

"A life without love is like a year without summer. " ~Swedish Proverb


It's a beautiful day outside! It's super hot but that's ok if there is a cool pool or some splash pad where the kids can get all their energy out! It's been a great summer so far! I know it's just beginning and I also know it's more than likely I will soon complain for the hot weather, etc... but I hope I can have a better attitude this year and just enjoy it all like my oldest girl in this picture:


Saturday we had an awesome morning with friends! We went BLUEBERRY picking! Let me say that I've never been a big fan of blueberries and/or blueberry desserts, for some reason I've never found them to be that good, I've honestly tried to like them and bought them sometimes at the store but nah! they would usually end up in the garbage, this time I was excited about going blueberry picking just for the fun of it! In Wisconsin I used to go apple picking and I miss it so I thought it would be fun to do something like that here in the hot State of Texas! when my friend invited me to go with her I was ecstatic! We got there at around 9:30 a.m. and there were lines of people LEAVING already! and many more that were just arriving like us! Everybody had buckets to collect the blueberries and big bags FILLED with them! I kept wondering how the blueberries don't get all squished in there being as fragile as they are... but anyway... I picked a little and my girls did too... then had to stop because it was way too hot and my 17mo. needed a break from the heat, still had a lot of fun and got to enjoy some berry picking!



 Then when we finally got home my friend shared some of her berries with me, I didn't really pick any for us because I didn't know what I would make, since nobody here likes blueberries either (although I was surprised when I tasted the blueberries we were picking and they were AMAZING! Soooo different from the ones we buy at the store!) so I was happy she shared some so I would try to make something with them... and... this is what I made:

Blueberry Muffins
Original Recipe "To Die For Blueberry Muffins from Allrecipes.com"


Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil (I use safflower)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
  2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups almost to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
  3. To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
  4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.

These muffins were AMAZINGLY GOOD! Hubby wanted to have 3!!! right away! I only let him have two! I was afraid he would get a stomachache! LOL! ... He loved them so so so much! and my littlest one loved them too! I was a big fan too but I don't eat cake/cupcakes right now so... I had to pass! Trust me ... you'll like them though!

© Paloma K.

1 comment:

Ginny Marie said...

We go blueberry picking in Michigan, and they taste so much better right off the bush than store bought ones do! I have some in the freezer...I'm going to try your muffin recipe! They look like they will taste great with a cup of coffee!