Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, November 4, 2013

Stewed Sausage with Onions, Garlic and Peppers

Ah! Talk about comfort food! This weekend I decided to make it "extra special" when it comes to food! I just felt industrious and wanted to make something that would be extra warming and inviting... perfect to enjoy in a rainy day... but different from what I usually make...  at the same time I knew I would have busy days so I wanted to make something delicious, yes... but also practical and not too time consuming...

so... when I went to the store I decided to buy "Italian Sausage". I never buy that kind of thing so I knew it would definitely be a "twist" and something different from what I always cook... and ah! I am so happy I did... I also had some cookbooks from the library and I used them for inspiration to put this together... I hope you will try it and let me know how you liked it... This is something I am definitely going to be making again!

Stewed Sausage with Onions, Garlic and Peppers


Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. raw sweet Italian sausage (in its casing)
  • 3/4  lb. raw mild Italian sausage (in its casing) -you can buy the whole package with one pound and just leave one sausage out)
  • 1 large white onion (chopped)
  • 1 large green bell pepper (seeded and cut into chunks)
  • 1 large yellow bell pepper (seeded and cut into chunks)
  • 4 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped.
  • 2-3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano 
  • 1 small can of tomato sauce
  • 1 14 oz. can of fire roasted diced tomatoes (undrained)
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • roughly chopped fresh basil for garnish


Directions:

In a big bowl mix the onions, green/yellow pepper and garlic. Set aside

  • Using a very large skillet, heat the oil over med-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the sausages and turn occasionally making sure all sides are browned (this will take about 10-12 minutes). Stir in the oregano and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato sauce and cook for a minute or two. Add the diced tomatoes with the juices, the water and the 1/4 tsp. salt; simmer for 3 minutes.
  • In the bottom of a slow cooker arrange ONLY half of the onion-pepper mixture and then cover with half of the sausages and their sauce, cover with the rest of the onion-pepper mixture to form another layer and top it all with the rest of the sausage/sauce. Cover and cook for 4 hours on low. Serve and garnish with fresh basil. You can serve this with pasta or buttered egg-noodles with grated parmesan or just serve it in a bowl and enjoy with some delicious artisan bread. 
 Honestly... you will love me after you eat this! ;)



© Paloma K.

No comments: