Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Raising sweet girls and Lemon/Blueberry Bars

So... first of all... yesterday would've been a perfect day if it wasn't for the horrible tragedy that happened in Colorado! I happened to find out through Facebook and it made me feel so sick and sad! How can people do these things? I am so sorry for the families of the victims and for those who went through it as well of course! What a horrible thing!

So... later in the day I decided I can't stay affected by all these things that happened... especially having a family to care for... all I can do is pray and raise my girls to become a blessing to society not another evil curse! As a mommy these things can affect me even harder than they did before I had children... but we have to keep going because we do not help if just stay crying...

So... after thinking about the events that occurred there and knowing I had to still make a good day for my hubby and girls I ended up drawing with my 3 yr. old (using Paint on the computer) and making pizza and Lemon/Blueberry Bars!

Here's the result of Mommy's Drawing (mine)

Very childish... and wishing I could keep my girls naive and happy always!
So... after our "Drawing session" I started the cooking.... Started making the pizza dough early (around 2 p.m.) to allow it it rise properly... no rush!... and my patience definitely paid off!


Right before going into the oven!

Then I proceeded to make the lemon/blueberry bars... Trust me... they were both the pizza and bars just amazing! Even I shouldn't be eating pizza but had to have this! and the Bars... well... As I was making them I felt like I should share them with someone else... maybe God had intended for me to make them to bless someone... so when I finished I posted them on fb to see if there would be any takers and thankfully there was a great response so I gave them to the first one to comment! :) .... I just kept one of the bars for hubby to enjoy and he said it was really, really delicious (and he is not a fan of "lemony" or fruit desserts) so I was very pleased!

Now... the recipe for all of you!  (you can find the recipe for the pizza in my recipe index page)

Lemon/Blueberry Bars 
I got this recipe from Monica at: Lick the Bowl Good



For the crust: 
  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • Zest of one lemon
For the filling:
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1 (14 ounce can) sweetened condensed milk 
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish as you usually would (I usually do it with CRISCO because this really keeps anything from sticking to the pan). Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, sugar, and lemon zest. Mix until graham cracker crumbs are moist. Press crumbs firmly into the bottom and slightly up the sides of prepared pan. Bake the graham cracker crust for about 10 minutes if your oven is on the "hot side" then just bake it for about 8 or nine mins. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
Let's make the filling! 
Combine the egg yolks and condensed milk in a medium bowl. Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir until mixture is smooth and begins to slightly thicken. Gently fold in about 3/4 of the blueberries, to use the rest for the top. 
Pour the lemon blueberry filling evenly over the graham cracker crust then top with the remaining blueberries. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until just set (I baked it for about 17 mins.)
Cool for about 20 minutes at room temperature, then refrigerate until completely chilled. Cut into bars and serve.
 Enjoy!

© Paloma K.

8 comments:

Tara Denny said...

That is so terrible about CO. My heart fire out to everyone involved.
The drawing is cute and the food looks yummy.
Have a great day.

Ginny Marie said...

Those lemon blueberry bars look divine! I use Crisco too, and you've just reminded me, I need to add it to my shopping list! I ran out when I made pizza on last Friday night!

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

It's only morning and now I am craving pizza...I better get the dough going early:) The lemon blueberry bars look delicious.

Cucina49 said...

Those bars look positively luscious! So creamy and fruity.

Mothering From Scratch said...

{Melinda} Pizza and bars look amazing, Paloma. You are such a sweetheart to share those with us ... and with the lucky commenter.

And, yes, the tragedy makes me sick to my stomach. We are not promised tomorrow, are we? Makes me want to hold my family close.

Anonymous said...

They both look delish. The bars look so yummy.

Paloma said...

Thank you everyone for your comments! I've been crazy busy and trying to get my "blogging/replying" time in very early to be able to manage everything else during the day! Hugs!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Creating wonderful memories for your family is so important in this crazy time.