I know it might seem complicated at first but even when I've been on the plan for only about 3 1/2 weeks I am starting to get it... and even when I have thyroid issues I am starting to see some weight loss! This is great because with hypo-thyroidism I am just amazed to be able to eat and not gain weight! I find it miraculous if I can even lose! even if ever so slowly!
So... you will be seeing me around more as I share the foods I eat with the world... For now... I will share with you the recipe to make a delicious "Chile Relleno Casserole" ... The Trim Healthy Mama Book has a recipe for this dish but I decided to make my own with a "more Mexican flare" of course! I am pleased with the results! Hubby loved it and I think you will love it too! Whether you're trying to eat healthier or not this is a YUMMY dish that your family will enjoy.
Disclaimer: this is obviously not an "Authentic Mexican Dish" but it is not deep fried! Which is a better option... You can choose to add more poblano pepper if you can handle the heat. Most of the heat is in the seeds/veins of the pepper anyway and those are discarded. Customize it to your taste.
Chile Relleno Casserole
Trim Healthy Mama - S Meal
Yield: 4 generous servings
- 7 egg whites + 2 egg yolks (you can use about 1/2 cup of liquid egg-whites from a carton)
- 4 Poblano Peppers (Roasted, Peeled, seeded and sliced into about 1"x0.5" pieces) - to learn how to roast/peel/seed them click here
- 1.5 lb. (or 3 heaping cups) of cooked chicken (cubed or shredded, I prefer cubed) - you can use leftover skinless rotisserie chicken
- 1 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup petite diced tomatoes (drain if canned or chop your own fresh tomatoes)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven at 350F. Grease an 8x8 (or 9x9) baking dish with some olive or coconut oil.
- In a bowl mix the egg whites and egg yolks with a fork or whisk, season with a bit of salt and pepper, mix, add rest of the ingredients to the bowl and gently fold all the ingredients together until they're all incorporated. Season with some more salt and pepper (careful with the salt especially if using pre-seasoned chicken like the rotisserie kind).
- Add the mix of ingredients into baking dish and smooth with a spoon or spatula. Bake uncovered for about 45 minutes.
© Paloma K.