Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, July 2, 2012

Happy Monday, Sippy Cups and Chicken Tacos!

 As I do every Monday... Here I am sharing about how HAPPY I AM IT IS MONDAY! ... Yes... I guess I could complain about it and lose focus on the blessings that Mondays represent and I could say:


"ugh! Hubby has to go to work" it's hard to find something else I don't like about Monday actually... but I guess we all have our reasons to dislike it... a little...

But ... Instead I choose to love Mondays and start them with a good attitude because

  1. It's a brand new day God's given me and my family.
  2. His mercies are new each day .... even on Mondays! ;)
  3. Hey! Hubby has a job to go to!!! WOOHOOO!!! Praise God... He provides!
  4. Mondays feel like a clean slate to me! New opportunities... New challenges!

We should focus on what we have... Is it fair to complain about dishes to wash instead of being thankful for the fact that we had FOOD that made those dishes possible?
  
Yesterday... I was washing my girls' sippy cups... and all of a sudden I felt overwhelmed with gratefulness! What a wonderful, blessed moment! I am the mom of two great girls! They have a blessed life, their little mouths drink clean water from those cups! I must say "being a mom" was never in my plans before I had them... I wasn't completely "against being a mommy" but I didn't think I really cared much if I had children or not... I didn't know!!!! It's been such an amazing blessing and the sippy cups reminded me of it!


Are there times... when little things remind you to be thankful? Would you share with us?

And now... More reasons to be thankful!

Fast Chicken Tacos 
(Adapted from Martha Stewart Recipes)




Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds chicken cutlets (about 8) (to reduce time you can use leftover rotisserie chicken, you will need about 1 pound. For my recipe to make rotisserie style chicken click here and skip the steps of cooking the chicken cutlets)
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower (only 1 tbsp. if you use rotisserie chicken)
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder (not needed if using rotisserie style chicken)
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 3 bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
  • 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 8 flour tortillas (6-inch) - You can use whole wheat if desired.
  • Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream, for serving
  • Lime wedges, for serving

Directions

  1. Heat broiler on high (with rack about 4" from heat) Arrange chicken on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, rub with 1tbsp. oil. Season with chili powder, salt and pepper. Broil without turning until chicken is opaque throughout (about 6 mins) Remove from oven. Set aside.
  2. On another baking sheet (preferably a rimmed baking sheet) lined with foil, toss peppers, onion, garlic, and remaining tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Broil, tossing occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender and slightly charred, 6 to 8 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, thinly slice chicken crosswise. Heat up a griddle (or a big flat pan on the topstove)   at medium heat, once the pan is hot set the tortillas (as many as you can fit without overlapping much), let tortillas warm up on one side for about 45 seconds, flip and let them warm up for about 1 more minute, flip again and warm up for about 40 more seconds (try to press the tortillas down with a fork if your hands aren't that used to the heat) flip again if necessary, tortillas should start making "hot air bubbles" inside, this means they are warming all the way through. (you can use your microwave or oven to warm up your tortillas, but as a Mexican and expert tortilla warmer -lol- I just shared with you the best way to warm up a tortilla) 
  4. Transfer chicken and pepper mixture to a platter, and serve with tortillas, cilantro, sour cream, and lime wedges.
Enjoy!


Weekend Bloggy Reading

© Paloma King

No comments: