Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Mashed Tots - by Brand

Hello... just wanted to share today about a great "Movie Snack" that my friend and collaborator Brand (who recently started contributing with cooking ideas/tips and recipes  for this blog) sent to me by e-mail... So... here it is...

Mashed Tots
by Brand Schoolcraft

My wife made a wonderful dinner complete with Mashed Potatoes.  We had a movie at home planned later, so I made some movie snacks.  The left-over Mash rolled up into quarter size balls, by hand.  Creamy Mash makes better balls than dryer...fridge them for about 15 minutes (helps them stay together for the dredging process. Dredge...roll them in flour, one beat egg, pulverized bread crumbs (I like Ritz Crackers in the Pestle and Mortar).  Fry them in enough oil to float freely, the less oil you use, the smaller batches you fry.  Pull them out of the oil; golden brown (approx 2-3 min.), salt them immediately, toss them, salt again.   Then I added Michael Chiarello's recipe for toasted spice rub (which is a whole 'nother recipe, worth it.  I have kept it on hand for months now, still good.  Way better than any pre-canned spice mix.  But, your favorite canned spice will work also.)  Crunchy crust, creamy hot insides, uh,...yum.


Brand.
----------------

So, there you have it... I think they are easy to make and a great way to use leftover mashed potatoes, don't you think? Enjoy!

© Paloma King

No comments: