Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Alamo Cat and Blueberry Buckle

 If you read (or looked at, because it was mainly pictures) yesterday's post, then you know we had a "vacation weekend" with old friends, we went to San Antonio, Tx. and enjoyed the Riverwalk, The Alamo and Mission San Jose... It is amazing how you can be transported in time when you visit places like that... I am sure the people who fought there never thought there would be one day "smiley tourists" and "giggly children" running around those halls and gardens! As I touched the walls I could even imagine their conversations, their voices and the rush of the time of battle! and then I found this:

I introduce to you: "The Alamo Cat"
And it made me think like this cat lived it all... I know it didn't happen... But for some reason it made me think it was "The Alamo pet" it was so still that it almost looked like a statue! it made me want to go pet him but I didn't want to "break the spell" I was in another time and era... it was actually a little sad, thinking of the innocent people that always result injured when battles occur... anyway... I know sometimes wars are needed... but... I guess I'll never completely understand it...

And now... a recipe that will transport you too! Not in time but at least to a very pleasant place (just ask my hubby!):

Blueberry Buckle
Original from Allrecipes.com

Yield 1 -8x8 inch cake

Ingredients

For the cake

  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups fresh blueberries

For Crumb topping:

  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease one 8x8 inch pan.
  2. Cream together 3/4 cup sugar, shortening, and egg.
  3. In a separate bowl mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into sugar mixture, alternating with milk. Stir in blueberries. Spread evenly (it is going to be very thick) into greased 8x8 inch pan.
  4. To make topping: Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, cinnamon, and butter. Sprinkle over cake batter.
  5. Bake at 375 degree F (190 degrees C) for 25-30 minutes. (I baked it for exactly 30 minutes and it was perfect)
Right out of the oven

The Blueberries melt through the crumb topping making it look even more delicious!

The inside is like a "blueberry coffee cake"
 Enjoy with a hot cup of coffee! ;) (ok, you can drink anything you want!)

© Paloma K.

8 comments:

Stef Arochi said...

Oh goodness, this is just to die for! Look at that crumble! (: I love your writting in this post... it just "flows" if you know what I mean lol

BTW, if you could come up with a macaron recipe that even the most baking challenge can do, I will love you forever!

Cucina49 said...

That cat photo is adorable! And the buckle is positively swoon-worthy.

Ginny Marie said...

I just love that picture of the Alamo Cat! Doesn't that sound like a great children's book? I'm drinking a cup of coffee right now...wish I had some blueberry buckle to go with it! ;)

Kelly said...

This looks delicious! Great blog name, btw :)
~Kelly

Paloma said...

Stef: Thank you! You are so nice! I'll see if I can come up with an easy macaroon recipe! we'll see!

Krista: I am glad you liked the picture... yes that buckle was good! I don't eat cake (due to my weight loss journey) and this I had to try!!!

Ginny: I thought about something like that too! I called him "The Alamo Cat" he doesn't even know it! LOL! ... but I might get to writing more about him!

Kelly: Thank you! I am so glad you stopped by and left a comment! :)

Natalie said...

Ok I seriously want to eat this right now...it looks so good! Love the shot of "the alamo cat" and thanks for stopping by my blog from SITS :)

Paloma said...

I am glad you liked the picture Natalie! You should try making that "blueberry buckle" it's super easy and tastes amazing! ;)

SharleneT said...

Great idea for the Alamo Cat and Ginny Marie is right, what a great children's book title! Get busy, Missy! Think I'm gonna use that Buckle recipe for the Market Saturday. Perfect timing.