Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, December 25, 2009

Mexican Green Spaghetti!

So, for Christmas eve, I made a Mexican "green spaghetti" ... No, the noodles aren't green, it's just the sauce, I know it's not coffee... but I had to share it with whoever reads this blog! Because I know you will love it!
Here it is:

Ingredients:

1 lb. of spaghetti (Barilla, Creamette or your favorite)
2 poblano peppers (see picture)
2 chicken bouillion cubes
3 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
2 garlic cloves
1.5 tsp. ground black pepper
1.5 cup of Mexican style sour cream (see picture) -if you can't find this, then just use regular sour cream.
1/4 cup of milk
1/4 cup of water

Directions:

1. Cook the spaghetti noodles following the instructions of the box.

2. One or two at a time, cook peppers directly on the grate for about seven minutes. Periodically turn with tongs or a fork to cook all sides of the skin. (don't worry if it looks black, that will go away when you peel it)



Roasting Poblanos Using the Oven or Broiler
To roast peppers in the oven, preheat the oven to 450° F. Spread the peppers in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet and cook until the skin blisters and begins to darken, about five to ten minutes.

3. Put the peppers inside a plastic bag so they can "sweat" and then you can remove the skin easier (for about 8 mins.)



4. While the peppers are "sweating" peel the garlic cloves, chop the cilantro and ... check your pasta! It should be "al dente".



5. Once the peppers are ready peel them and get the seeds and veins out (use plastic gloves because the heat of the peppers is all in the seeds and you can get your hands burnt (TRUST ME!)

6. Now just blend the roasted flesh of the peppers, the garlic, bouillion cubes, cilantro, black pepper, sour cream and water until it is a creamy green sauce.







7. Pour the sauce in a pot on the stove (low heat) until it starts to boil.



8. Add the cooked spaghetti to the simmering sauce and let it all simmer for 2 or 3 minutes, make sure all the noodles are covered by the sauce, you can use the 1/2 cup of milk (or less or more) to get the desired consistency of the sauce (it should just be a nice cream, not soupy, not too thick). Voila!!! Your Mexican green spaghetti is ready! (you can use some fresh cilantro leaves to decorate!)



-----

This pasta goes great with any meat (chicken, pork, beef, etc.), it makes about 6 servings.

Enjoy and do not forget to drink a cup of coffee with your favorite dessert afterwards!

Coffee Lovers.

Mexican Green Spaghetti! on Foodista

3 comments:

The Sole Sisters Collective said...

Paloma, I absolutely love it here on your blog. I found your site on Bloggers Unite, great stuff. I am also a food junkie, mostly cooking for my family though.

Very creative.

You might like to catch me here: http://beautifuldatingadventures.blogspot.com
or of course my more serious blog which you can link to.

Anonymous said...

This is the most detailed recipe that I have found on the net for this spaghetti. I've had this at several mexican parties, and I'm planning on whipping this up for a christmas day dish at my family get together. I'm bookmarking this so I can come back and cook this up during the holidays. Great post, and thank you !!

Anonymous said...

My husband has told me about a Mexican Spaghetti (with chipotle and crema) for a long time, as he does not like tomato or tomato sauce. I finally decided to look for a recipe and am soooo glad I found yours! It is delicious and is GREEN - our family's preferred type of salsa!! I've made it several times now, including for my daughter's birthday party, and everyone loves it! Thank you so much for sharing!!