So... I found an amazing, amazing chicken recipe at Allrecipes.com ... The ingredients are very simple and inexpensive, I knew it sounded good when I found it but I had no clue how GREAT it would be!! It's really a keeper! I hope you enjoy it just as much as we did.
It's real Southern Food, a delicious dish right from the heart of Houston, Tx. I never thought I would love this that much... I hope you enjoy it too:
|Serving Suggestion: Side of White or Brown Rice. It's delicious with mashed potatoes too. Cover rice with gravy from the chicken... YUM!|
Soul Smothered Chicken
(Slightly Adapted from Allrecipes.com)
Yield: 8 servings
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces (separate drumsticks from thighs too, I even cut the thighs in two)
- About 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 big white onion
- 3 stalks of celery
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dredge in 3/4 cup flour, place in the skillet, and brown on all sides. Set chicken aside on paper towel to absorb the excess of grease, drain skillet, reserving about 1 tablespoon butter.
- Reduce skillet heat to medium-low, and stir in onions, celery, garlic, and carrots. Cook 5 minutes, until tender. Stir in the flour, and cook 5 minutes more. Pour in the chicken broth, season with cayenne pepper, and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low.
- Return chicken to the skillet, cover, and continue cooking 30 minutes, until chicken juices run clear and gravy has thickened.
Enjoy! Have a great week!
© Paloma K.