Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Beautiful Fall Cookies - Children friendly!

 Hello friends, as I mentioned yesterday I'll be sharing some great fall recipes and also some Thanksgiving tips and my very own Thanksgiving menu with you!

Yesterday, inspired by the whole "fall theme" I made some cookies, I wasn't going to share them with you just yet because I have an idea of the "order" I want to give to my posts... starting with appetizers and ending with desserts but I thought they turned out so great that I can't wait any longer!

These are some "rolled out sugar cookies" the recipe is very simple and trust me... it is a lot of fun to decorate them and let your kids "paint them" too once the cookies are out of the oven and completely cooled off!

So... Here is what I made:


To make these you'll need:

Leaf/Pumpkin Shaped Cookie Cutters
Pastry Brush (and a clean regular small painting brush)
food coloring (I use gel for brighter colors) - orange, yellow, green and brown
Parchment Paper/metal cooling rack 
Plus the cookies ... here is the recipe to make them:


Ingredients:
3/4 cups butter, softened
1 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
For the frosting you will need powdered sugar (about 1 1/2 cups) and milk (about 1/2 cup) plus your food coloring.
2.5 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for rolling)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Directions:
1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients and stir them in the butter/sugar mix once they are ready. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with your cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven (or until edges look slightly golden). Cool completely.

To decorate:

In your mixer (using your whisk attachment) mix powdered sugar and milk at high speed, add more sugar or milk as needed to form a thick liquid or "thin, runny paste" that you will be able to brush on the cookies, it should be thin enough to "paint" the cookies, and thick enough to "stay on the cookie", separate your mix into 4 different bowls (or as many as you need for the colors that you have) and add some food coloring to each bowl, I used orange, yellow, brown and green. Have fun painting your leaves using your pastry brush for the larger areas and the small brush for the stems of the pumpkins. Make sure to have some parchment paper under your cooling racks where you'll place the "painted cookies" to dry so you can have an "easy clean up".

So... I hope you like this fall recipe, which is also a great fall activity to have fun with your little ones... My 4 yr. old (who I am homeschooling right now) and I had a fun time talking about the wind, how it works and how even when we cannot see it we know it's there because it moves things, like LEAVES, we talked about other uses for the air, that it carries oxygen which we need to breath and how we can use it to dry things too! ... I am sure you'll find something cool to talk about too!




Don't forget our Coffee Friday! It's going to be fun!!! I hope you can mention "coffee" somewhere in any of your posts of the week and don't forget to link back to us so more can know about it and join us too!

Happy Baking!

© Paloma K.

No comments: