So, here is our soup:
Ham and Potato Soup
(About 8 servings)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 big carrot (or 2 medium/small ones) -peeled and diced-
- 3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 stalk of celery finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules (or 1 1/2 cubes)
- Salt to taste (about 1 tsp.)
- Black pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp.)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese (for garnish)
- 4 green onions (for garnish)
- In a stockpot warm the olive oil at medium heat, once it's hot add the potatoes, celery, onion and carrots stirring occasionally until they soften (about 8 minutes) -season with some salt and pepper, remember you will be adding the chicken bouillion granules - or cubes - and those will add more salt.
- Once the 8 minutes have passed and the vegetables are a little softer add the ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, stir a little to make sure it combines and cook soup for 3-5 more minutes. Serve immediately garnishing with the shredded cheese and green onions
© Paloma King