Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, February 1, 2010

Broccoli, grapes, brownies and sugar in the raw

I can't believe it's February already! I was a little ahead with the new "look" of my blog but I'd rather be early than late! I hope you have all had a good start of the month!

Now to my topics... Let's start with the Broccoli and grapes! I used them to make a GREAT SALAD! I recently went to a women's event in a church and they had a delicious salad and it included broccoli and grapes! I started looking for recipes that looked "similar" and I found this delicious recipe in Allrecipes.com... I made some slight modifications... so I want to share with you my version of Broccoli Salad Supreme!

What you need: (this is a very big salad... you can make half and it would be more than enough for 4 people)

  • 10 cups broccoli florets
  • 6 cups seedless red grapes (I used these for my salad too and even I loved it I think I would like it better with less grapes... So I guess 5 cups would be fine!)
  • 1 cup sliced celery
  • 1 chopped red onion
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled (I just sprinkled some of the bacon flavored soy stuff they sell for salads, it was good but I am sure it would've been better with the real stuff)
  • 1 1/3 cups walnuts 
In a large salad bowl, combine the broccoli, grapes, celery and onion. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, sugar and vinegar. Pour over broccoli mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving, gently stir in bacon and walnuts.


Here are some pictures:


 


I also made brownies last night.... They were ok... Hubby loves brownies.... so we had that with a cup of coffee... which takes me to my next topic.... HUBBY IS SUCH A SWEETHEART! Lately when we go to a coffee shop I've been using "Sugar in the Raw" for my coffee... I just love it! As I've mentioned before, he is "in charge" of coffee here at home.... and he surprised me yesterday when he went to the store and got my "sugar in the Raw" ...

I mean... you might thing it's nothing "huge" but for me it is... I just love how much he pays attention to everything I like or the things I say... He does this all the time! and it's those "little things" that make me love him even more!

Thanks for reading my dear friends! I hope you had a great Monday! Do not forget Friday is almost here and it's all about you and your coffee... so send the pictures! And thanks to Marty for already sending his picture! I loved it! (To know more about Coffee Fridays click here )

12 comments:

Farmhouse Fixers said...

Hey thanks for the recipe. I had a friend that gave me a version of it a while back and I lost it!
Perfect timing! Now go get some rest!

Sharlene T. said...

Love the recipe. Will definitely try it, when the spring garden comes up!

The Muse said...

love the holiday look...it made me smile!
plus...i have to admit so did the blog title..just because i was so concentrating on having a post about coffee..lol i could not image where the fruits and veggies came in!

so happy to be able to visit with you!

Queenie Jeannie said...

That's a really interesting looking salad!! I'm so glad you have a wonderful hubby too!

Pchanner said...

Thanks for the interesting salad recipe. My hubby and I have to try it out one day.

Visiting from SITS

Herself said...

I'm scheming for a coffee Friday contribution!

Carrie said...

Okay, so the title threw me a bit. I could not figure out what you were making LOL
Now I know.. I have seen these salads before but have never tried one.
Happy Tuesday to you my friend.

Katie said...

I gave you some blog award at my blog! Thanks for being a faithful encourager.

SWEET SOUL CREATION said...

The best thing you can do is put coffee in the brownies sooo yummy!!!

Counting Coconuts said...

Yum, yum, yum and yummy! I make a similar broccoli salad, only I use dried grapes (aka raisins) ;). Thanks for sharing this!

Laura said...

Oh, yum. I love Broccoli Salad. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Stopping by from SITS

Lisa said...

One of my aunt's would bring a dish like the broccoli salad to family gatherings when I was little. I did love it so much but had forgotten about it! I don't use mayo much at all anymore, but I may look for a similar salad that doesn't include it! Thanks for the reminder!

Stopping by from SITS!