So... now that I am on the Trim Healthy Mama plan, I've been seeing a lot of dishes and recipes but not many of them entirely "satisfy my Mexican palate", I thought I would cook the "way I know to" just making sure I combine the ingredients the right way, the THM way, to make sure I stay on plan... and I am going to share one of my dishes with you... This one can be easily modified and used as FP, S or E... Here it goes:
|Picture taken by Rhonda from the Trim Healthy Mama Team|
Note: The picture is NOW great!!! Thank you Rhonda! It is beautiful!
|Get your own Mexican style placemat here|
Original dish is naturally Gluten Free
Yield: Serves 4
- 2 big chicken breasts (or 3-4 smaller ones)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 white onion (chopped)
- 1 big clove of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped, discard the seeds)
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce (make sure there's no added sugar)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 3 zucchinis (cubed) (I even used 2 zucchinis and 1 yellow squash)
- salt to taste
- Place the chicken, water, onion, garlic and salt in a large skillet, cover with a tight lid and let it cook in medium/low heat until the chicken is cooked through (about 30 mins).
- Remove the chicken breasts from the skillet, let them cool a little bit, while they cool add the tomato sauce, cumin and bell pepper to the water (add a bit more liquid if necessary, there should be enough sauce up to 1/2" high in the pan).
- Cover the pan with the lid and let the sauce simmer in low heat while you shred the chicken breasts with two forks (or with your fingers if it's cool enough to handle).
- Return the shredded chicken to the pan and incorporate the zucchini, cover and let it all cook together until the zucchini is cooked through (about 10 more minutes), taste and add a bit more salt to taste if needed. Serve immediately.
Serve and top with some 0% Greek yogurt next to a big green salad dressed with some balsamic vinegar. You can sprinkle some fresh chopped cilantro on top of your chicken dish.
You can substitute chicken breast for chicken thighs, you can serve with a side of avocado sprinkled with salt or if you're not a purist you can even eat it in 2 low carb (3 net carb) mission flour tortillas topped with sour cream (Don't forget your avocado), iceberg lettuce and cucumbers are a great accompaniment for these flavors! Make a good side salad.
You can serve it with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (don't add any oil to it) and even go for 1/4 cup of refried beans (fat free, Rosarita has great fat free beans) to go with it. Hopefully you'll make a side salad as well.
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as my family enjoys it! As you can see... I guess I do cook Mexican all the time, it's awesome to be able to stay on plan.
ETA 11/1/2014: This recipe will be promoted by the Trim Healthy Mama Team, Jessica Myers (Admin from the THM FB Group ) sent it to Pearl (one of the sisters that created this amazing Plan) and they were so interested in it that they prepared it and took the beautiful picture I am sharing with my recipe... I am honored and thankful!
© Paloma K.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links