Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My weight battle and a Healthy recipe

Hello everybody! This year is just being hard to get the groove of things, I had a respiratory flu last week, that wasn't a good way to start the year... Thankfully I am much better but still fighting the residues of the congestion and my ears, well... those hurt a lot!

On the bright side I am doing much better with my eating/exercising... Most of you don't know that I am in a weight-loss journey and I've been at it since January last year... Today is actually my "anniversary"! Happy Anniversary to me! This never started as a "New Year Resolution" ... I just got tired of my extra weight, which has always been a struggle for me... Particularly being a foodie and food blogger! Come on! How can one keep the waist line in check with such passion for food/cooking/baking!!! But it IS possible and I am doing it! So far I've lost over 40 pounds and I am going for more! This will be MY year!

Even when in the past I've lost/gained again/lost again and so on ... all the extra weight... I had never actually done it for the right reasons and in the right way! I had always lost my weight just "to look good" which isn't bad in itself... but it can't be "the only reason" why one loses the weight... Because if "appearance and my image" is the only motivation ... then it's easy to resort to "shortcuts" and "easy/fast" ways to get rid of the pounds that "look so bad" ... This time I am doing it because I want to be healthy, I married the most wonderful man on the face of the earth and he's never actually "met ME" IYKWIM ... he's never really seen the "real me" that's been hiding inside all these extra pounds! and I am doing this to enjoy my life (which I already do) but to enjoy it more with him and my girls for longer! To avoid illnesses and just the "exhaustion" that comes from being overweight! And I am doing it "the right way too" just eating healthy and exercising A LOT! who knew! that actually works! LOL! And it's not a "quick or temporary fix" it's "the real deal"

So... today ... I am going to share with you a very healthy recipe, it's not only healthy but also very satisfying! I actually found the original at Allrecipes.com but this is my version... so... I hope you enjoy it! Don't worry... I'll continue to blog about luscious desserts and comfort food (LOL!) ... I've learned to resist the temptation of eating them... I can now cook them and just indulge moderately on special occasions... But I'll also try to share with you more and more healthy recipes like this:



Kale and Potato Soup with Cannellini Beans
Yield: 8 servings
Calories per serving: about 270
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium white onion, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves
chopped
8 cups water
6 cubes chicken bouillon (I use Knorr)
1 (15 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
8 red potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
(drained if desired)
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons dried parsley
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
1. Heat the olive oil (at medium-low heat) in a large pot; cook the onion and garlic until soft. Stir in the kale and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the water, vegetable bouillon, tomatoes, potatoes, beans, Italian seasoning, and parsley. Increase heat to med-high and bring to a boil. Once the soup is boiling, reduce heat to med-low and simmer soup for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

© Paloma K.

No comments: