Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Delicious Appetizer - Battered Cauliflower

Hello everybody, here I am ... working hard at being a wife, mom, choir member, church member, community member, and every single role I have... I do enjoy my "blogger" role as well! But I've had to make sure all my priorities are in order and there's so much to do that my blogging has taken a toll! I do need to keep it up though because it's my very way of expressing myself, it's a personal outlet... I just LOVE IT and love you all! (or like they say here in the South... "y'all")

Today I want to share with you a delicious, inexpensive and great way to make a delicious appetizer or side dish... in Spanish we call it "Coliflor lampreada" (which I guess the closest translation would be "battered cauliflower") ... My husband is not a big fan of cauliflower but he LOVES, LOVES, LOVES this dish! He eats the cauliflower florets like if they were chips when I make it like this... and last night (he had it for dinner) and even said: "I wish my mom could've tried this" (she passed away before I met him) so I know it's a huge compliment...

So here goes MY battered cauliflower recipe... it's very basic and you can get creative with it... adding some herbs to the batter, etc...

Here's how I make it:


Coliflor Lampreada

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cauliflower (steamed or boiled just until fork tender but not falling apart on its own)
  • 2 eggs (divided)
  • 1 1/2 cups of flour
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper 
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • About 2 cups of vegetable oil (I prefer Nutrioli soybean oil for this)

Directions:
  • When the cauliflower has been cooked and cooled divide it in small florets, season them with some salt and black pepper.
  • Mix flour, garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. black pepper and 2 tsp. salt together, coat the cauliflower florets with the flour mixture, set aside the "floured florets"
  • In a mixer bowl, with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form, with the mixer still running on high add the egg yolks one at a time and keep mixing until you have a spongy looking yellow batter. 
  • While the eggs are mixing pour the 2 cups of oil (or more if needed) in a wok or a big saucepan at medium/high heat until it's very, very hot (ready for deep frying)
  • Add the cauliflower to the egg batter making sure the egg is perfectly covering all the cauliflower.
  • With a  spoon carefully place the battered cauliflower florets in the oil (don't throw them or hot oil will splash) and just turn it to make sure all sides have a nicely golden color (you can do 4 or 5 florets at a time, don't do them all at once so you can handle them properly and make sure they all are evenly fried)
  • Place the florets on paper towel to remove the excess of oil. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!!!

© Paloma K.

No comments: