So I know I haven't gone through my whole Menu and shared all of my recipes with you... but here I am ... This time I am bringing two recipes on how to make candied sweet potatoes... I don't like sweet potatoes, so they are not even on my menu, but I know this is a "Thanksgiving Staple" and a favorite of many
These recipes were shared with me by two of hubby's aunts... Auntie Sally (you've heard a lot about her here!) and Auntie Janet, well, she sent me Grandma's recipe. I trust them both with their recipes but this seems to be a dish where "the sisters" disagree! LOL! .. I am sure they are both great (If you like sweet potatoes)
So... here they are! Choose your favorite:
Auntie Sally's Candied Sweet Potatoes: (** Original Notes by Auntie Sally)
- 6 medium yams
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. Karo syrup
- 1/4 c. butter
- Preheat oven at 375F. Bake yams until fork tender (not too tender,they'll fall apart) about 25-30 mins. Peel and cut into pieces 2x2 or so. Layer in a baking dish, 8x8 or larger depending on how much you have, single layer is best.
- In the meantime combine sugar, syrup and butter and bring to a boil. Reduce to low heat and simmer 5 min. Stir occasionally.
- Pour syrup mixture over potatoes and bake, about 50 minutes basting 1 or 2 times.
** I do cover with foil and remove it in the last 5-10 minutes.
- They should have a nice glazed look, not crispy.
Grandma Shirley's Easy Candied Sweet Potatoes (**Original Notes by Auntie Janet)
** Here is the recipe for the sweet potatoes that Grandma gave me.
- 3- 16oz cans whole sweet potatoes (drained) slice into nice size pieces if you need too.
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- Drain the sweet potatoes and put into a 13x9" pan. Heat the brown sugar, dark corn syrup, and butter bring to a boil. Simmer stirring for 5 minutes. Pour syrup over sweet potates and bake for 30 minutes. I baste the sweet potates with the syrup after 15 minutes just to keep the tops of the potates from drying out.
Aren't they great? Ah! I love hubby's family! And I love it that they all took the time last Thanksgiving to share all this with me! I am respecting their secrets though... I am only sharing the recipes that I know they don't mind sharing... those recipes that I was told: "This is just for your eyes" well... it's stayed that way!
I hope you like these recipes, let me know which one you picked!
© Paloma K.