so... when I went to the store I decided to buy "Italian Sausage". I never buy that kind of thing so I knew it would definitely be a "twist" and something different from what I always cook... and ah! I am so happy I did... I also had some cookbooks from the library and I used them for inspiration to put this together... I hope you will try it and let me know how you liked it... This is something I am definitely going to be making again!
Stewed Sausage with Onions, Garlic and Peppers
- 1 lb. raw sweet Italian sausage (in its casing)
- 3/4 lb. raw mild Italian sausage (in its casing) -you can buy the whole package with one pound and just leave one sausage out)
- 1 large white onion (chopped)
- 1 large green bell pepper (seeded and cut into chunks)
- 1 large yellow bell pepper (seeded and cut into chunks)
- 4 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped.
- 2-3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 small can of tomato sauce
- 1 14 oz. can of fire roasted diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- roughly chopped fresh basil for garnish
In a big bowl mix the onions, green/yellow pepper and garlic. Set aside
- Using a very large skillet, heat the oil over med-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the sausages and turn occasionally making sure all sides are browned (this will take about 10-12 minutes). Stir in the oregano and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato sauce and cook for a minute or two. Add the diced tomatoes with the juices, the water and the 1/4 tsp. salt; simmer for 3 minutes.
- In the bottom of a slow cooker arrange ONLY half of the onion-pepper mixture and then cover with half of the sausages and their sauce, cover with the rest of the onion-pepper mixture to form another layer and top it all with the rest of the sausage/sauce. Cover and cook for 4 hours on low. Serve and garnish with fresh basil. You can serve this with pasta or buttered egg-noodles with grated parmesan or just serve it in a bowl and enjoy with some delicious artisan bread.
© Paloma K.