Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Thursday, May 3, 2012

A "lick the bowl good" dessert


Hello everybody! I just wanted to stop by and share an amazing and impressive looking recipe I found yesterday when looking for something to make with the fresh strawberries I had... I felt like doing something "different and unique" with them so I did. I was surprised (and happy) to see how EASY to make this dessert is... it looks complicated and fancy but it is something a mom (like me) with a 3 yr. old and a 1 yr. old can make in between laundry loads, baby feeding, etc! So... I will let the cake speak for itself now:



Strawberry Chantilly
Slightly adapted from Lick The Bowl Good

For the Crust:
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup cold unsalted butter
  • ½ cup crushed "Marias" or "Graham" crackers (you should try the original recipe, it calls for pecans or almonds, I just had none)
For the Filling:
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 cups fresh strawberries
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 teaspoon lime (or lemon) juice
  • 2 drops red food coloring, optional - I didn't use any -
For the crust: Cut the cold butter into the flour and sugar until crumbly, then stir in the chopped pecans. Press mixture into the bottom and halfway -a little less- up the sides of a springform pan and bake at 325 for 22 minutes (until it looks golden brown) -you could also use a 9x13-inch baking dish and bake at 300 for 20 minutes but I guess you'd have to serve it directly from the dish. I put mine in the refrigerator to cool faster while I made the filling. 

For the Filling: Pulse the strawberries in a food processor until is mostly pureed but still a little lumpy. Place the pureed strawberries, egg whites, sugar and lime juice in a bowl of your electric stand mixer. Beat on high for ten minutes. Add food coloring, if using, and mix for a few more seconds till the color is fully incorporated.
In a different bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream until you get stiff peaks. Gently fold, by hand, the whipped cream into the strawberry meringue mixture.
Pour the filling into the baked and cooled crust and cover well. Freeze for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
Slice and serve frozen chantilly with additional strawberries (or chocolate covered strawberries), if desired.



Hubby just LOVED this dessert! He said he had nothing like this before! And he was "shocked" when he saw it ... so you also get that "fall in love at first sight" factor on your side! Trust me... it is delicious... and all you do is put it all in the electric mixer, then in the pan and freeze! It is sooo good! Let me know if you try it.


Paloma K.

4 comments:

Monica H said...

yay! So glad you tried this. It looks great Paloma! My mother-in-law still talks about this dessert. I just love how light it is. Yours makes me want to make it again :-)

~Monica h

Anonymous said...

Hola amiga!
Para cuantas personas es? Asumiendo que nadie se sirva doble jajaja.

Besos a las princesas!

Lore Saldivar

Paloma said...

Orale Lore quien sabe... depende de la rebanadota ...jajaja... es un pastel bastante grande... yo diria que 10 alcanzan una buena rebanada ;)

Paloma said...

I know Monica! It truly is light! I felt so bad we threw most of it away! Can you believe it? I Don't eat any desserts right now (diet reasons) and I was dying to eat it! LOL! ... DD#1 didn't want any so hubby ate 1/4 of this cake! LOL! I wished I could've shared it with someone else but it was just impossible.